The first museum – a school collection – opened in Orosháza on 10 April 1927. Its creator was Balázs Juhász, who as a teacher involved his students in the collection and registration works. One of his students was Gyula Nagy, who laid down the foundation of the town museum on demand of the locals at the end of WW2, in a house offered by János Schwarcz. Material that had been collected and left by Balázs Juhász, who died at a young age, formed the basis of the collection. Under the leadership of Gyula Nagy between 1944-1979, a proper workshop came into being, the productivity of which was mirrored by 5 year-books and a town history monography published in 1965. Gyula Nagy was also a well-known ethnographer who researched traditional farming and everyday life of village people.
For a short while in 1979, the director of the Museum was Zoltán Beck ethnographer, who had already had a reputation for his significant folklore studies. The Darvas Memorial House was his merit.
Sándor Hévvízi managed the institution between 1980-2001. He was a linguist who listed all the geographical names of Békés county. Under his leadership, the Békés County Literature Collection opened in the parental home of József Darvas, with the help of Ferenc Szabó county museum director.
The museum of Orosháza was known as Balázs Juhász town museum from 1944 to 1950 when it was taken over by the Hungarian state and re-named after János Szántó Kovács. It merged into the county museum organization in 1962 and remained within its frameworks until 31 December 2000. From 1 January 2001, it was owned by Orosháza Municipality and ran as a regional museum until 2015. On 1 November 2015, it took up the name of Gyula Nagy. The Town Gallery moved under the organization unit of the museum from 1 May 2016.
The present director has been Zoltán Rózsa archeologist since 2001. The regular employees of the museum are: Kate Jozó (deputy director, educator), Natália Rózsa (collection manager, restorer), Gyöngyvér Bíró (archeologist), Atilla Katona-Kiss (historian), Katalin Szelényi (gallery assistant, artist), Edit Vass (literary historian).